Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Karma in the Bible: One Year Bible Reading for November 2


 Today we read from these verses in the One Year Bible:

Ezekiel 3:16-6:14
Hebrews 4:1-16
Psalm 104:24-35
Proverbs 26:27 

Let's look at the proverb. You didn't know that karma was in the Bible, did you? Well, the WORD karma isn't. But read today's verse. "Whoever digs a pit will fall into it, if someone rolls a stone, it will roll back on them." That's the idea of karma in a nutshell.

The idea is that you get back what you put out into the world. And as we all know, it doesn't always work on a case by case basis. You can be kind and loving and generous to everyone you meet, and still run across a jerk who takes advantage of you. But on the whole, as a rule, it works.

Let me give you an example. I was working in a bookstore one day and I noticed a woman walking around the store with a very angry scowl. She glared at everyone she came across, practically DARING anyone to speak to her. Finally she came to the front register where I was working and I said, "Hi! Did you find everything alright today?" and she yelled, "THANK YOU! I've been in this store for almost an hour and NO ONE HAS SAID A WORD TO ME!!" And I laughed and played it off that everyone must have been busy and I was sorry no one spoke to her. But I was thinking, "Lady, the reason no one spoke to you is because you were GLARING at everyone!" She was putting back vibes out, and she was getting bad vibes back.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is always sweet and kind to everyone she meets. She goes out of her way to do nice things for people on a daily basis. And I've seen, over and over, how people return the favor. There's nothing I wouldn't do for this dear, sweet lady. She puts kindness and love out into the world, and she gets it back every day (except for the occasional jerk.)

God, thanks for teaching us not to roll stones we don't want rolling back on us.

No comments: