Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Find the Wise: One Year Bible Reading for August 3


 
Today we read from these verses in the One Year Bible:

2 Chronicles 32:1-33:13
Romans 15:23-16:9
Psalm 25:16-22
Proverbs 20:16-18

Let's look at the Proverb. It gives us good advice. It says, "Plans are established by seeking advice." I know that in my life, I find things work so much better if I find someone wiser than I am and ask what they think. It doesn't mean that I always do what they suggest, but hearing another person's thoughts on the matter often helps me see perspectives that I hadn't noticed before. Either I DO accept their advice and do what they suggest, or I take their advice into consideration and know the alternatives when I decide.

I grew up making many unilateral decisions, and often it worked out. Sometimes, though, it didn't. Or it hurt people who weren't involved in the decision-making. So my advice to you (see what I did there?) is to seek out some people who are wise and ask them what they think before you make any big decisions.

One other thing I've learned along the way: don't make big decisions from a position of weakness. Don't make them when you're really angry, or really tired, or really sad. Wait until you're calm, peaceful, and happy before you make big decisions. Your future will thank you.

God, thanks for teaching us to seek out wise counsel.

No comments: