Wednesday, September 16, 2020

when the universe fights against you


Today in the One Year Bible, we read from Isaiah 19:1-21:17. Isaiah is telling us about God making everything work against the Egyptians who are fighting against Israel. They start fighting against each other. They lose heart and their plans are confused. Nature begins to fight against them, and the river dries up.

Ever have one of those days? I recently read a quote online where someone asked, "Why does my shirt only get caught on the doorknob when I'm already REALLY ANGRY?" And I've often wondered that myself. It really does seem like the whole world - the whole universe - is working against me sometimes. And there isn't just one simple single answer to this.

In some cases, you are "out of tune" with everything because you need to take a breath, calm down, get in sync, and love people. I most often find myself "fighting against the universe" when I'm grumpy and complaining about everything. When I stop and adjust my attitude and remember to be grateful, I find that things start to work again.

But another factor is literal spiritual battle. In Isaiah, we read about God Himself fighting against Israel's foes. But it works the other way, too. Sometimes if you're doing something that really hurts the enemy, he fights back. There are times when you're trying to do a good thing and it gets really difficult. Strange resistances rise up and try to prevent you. Of course, you're doing good, so you will prevail and triumph over the evil that's thwarting you. But that doesn't mean it won't be hard, that you won't look silly (believe me, doing good often makes you look very silly), or that you won't be humbled by the experience.

So if you feel like the world is conspiring against you today, take a deep breath, remember to love everyone, say a prayer for strength and courage, and do it anyway.

God, thanks for fighting for us. And for being with us when we fight the good fight and get beat up in the process.
 

No comments: