Wednesday, June 10, 2020

outside of time


Today we read from 1 Kings 5:1-6:38 in the One Year Bible. We read that God makes a covenant with Solomon and all of Israel. He says, "If you keep all my decrees and regulations and obey all of my commands... I will live among the Israelites and will never abandon my people Israel." Even though He was (is... will be) outside of time, and knew that Israel would fail to live up to the terms of their agreement, He still made the promise.

This reminds me of one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's called Arrival, and you can watch the trailer here and you can watch the movie on Amazon Prime Video. In the movie, the protagonist, played by Amy Adams, is given a glimpse into her future, and she sees things that mean she has to make a very difficult decision... and the decision she makes will take your breath away.

God, being outside of time, also saw things that meant He had to make a decision... and His decision was to love, even though it meant pain. As we look forward and are forced to make difficult decisions, may we also have the courage to choose love.

God, thanks for taking a chance on us. Help us to take the same chance on others.