Sunday, November 20, 2016

the weight of glory... and me

Lewis tells us about being honored by God today in A Year with C.S. Lewis.

And we do get that impression from the Bible. That God will one day say to some of us "Well done, my good and faithful servant." I believe that that's true, but I have a hard time imagining Him saying that to me.

I feel very much like the unprofitable servant. That I'm barely giving what is most needed. That I'm not doing anything great, but that I'm just barely acceptable. I don't think that I'm especially pleasing Him by what I do.

But... I do feel that He loves me. I sense, in fact, that not only does He love me, but that God is IN love with me. That even though I'm the least profitable of all His servants, and the most sinful and selfish of all His children... that still He adores me. That He loves me for the person He has made me... not for anything I've done.

I get it right every once in awhile. I help someone who needs it, or I say an encouraging word to someone who is having a rough time. But I feel like that's the rare exception. I feel like I'm caught up in my own selfish thoughts and fears and worries most of the time. And for that, I am truly repentant.

Thank You, God, for forgiving me of being such an unprofitable servant, and for loving me so much anyway.

1 comment:

Julie said...

You don't see you as others see you