Monday, March 13, 2023

God delights in surprising us


 Today we read from these verses in the One Year Bible:

Numbers 19:1-20:29
Luke 1:1-25
Psalm 56:1-13
Proverbs 11:8 

Let's look at Luke. We see two very old people, Zechariah and Elizabeth, who wanted children all of their lives but have now given up on the possibility. They wanted children because they knew, as many of us today have forgotten, that children are a great blessing from God.

But God had a surprise in store for them. Even though both of them were "very old" according to the text, God first TOLD them and then fulfilled His promise to give them a child. And not just any child, but they were the parents of John the Baptist, who would prepare the way for Jesus.

God has surprises in store for you, too. Sometimes they're tiny little surprises. Here's an example of a tiny surprise that God gave me a few years ago. I was getting my wisdom teeth removed and getting ready to get braces. Part of this process was to get a "deep cleaning" where they numb your gums and then clean out between your teeth and your gums. I was driving to this appointment and heard a song on the radio that I'd never heard before. The chorus said, "I can't feel my face when I'm with you. But I love it." And I thought that was a hilarious and very appropriate joke that God had told me that day.

What surprise will He give you today? Be on the lookout.

God, thanks for delighting in surprising us.

No comments: