Thursday, December 15, 2022

I awoke in the house of God: One Year Bible Reading for December 15


 And the moon is a sliver of silver. Like a shaving that fell on the floor of a carpenter's shop. And every house must have its builder. And I awoke in the house of God. Where the windows are mornings and evenings - stretched from the sun, across the sky, north to south. And on my way to early meeting, I heard the rocks crying out.

Those amazing lyrics are from a man that was too good for this world, so God took him home, and it didn't break his heart to say goodbye. His name was Rich Mullins, and if you haven't heard his music, you definitely should. It'll change you.

Today we read from these verses in the One Year Bible:

Micah 1:1-4:13
Revelation 6:1-17
Psalm 134:1-3
Proverbs 30:1-4 

Let's look at the Psalm. It says, "Praise the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, who minister by night in the house of the Lord." And when David wrote this, he was most likely referring to the priests who worked in the Temple at night. But the cool thing about the Bible is that it's God's word, and He can speak through it into our lives today. And in MY life, I very much minister by night in the house of the Lord, if you think of God's house as the whole world, like Rich Mullins says in his song above. I drive Uber at night, and I'd like to share a quick story about something that happened one night when I was ministering by night in the house of the Lord. I dropped off my passenger, and I felt like God said to stop for a minute. I found a nice little pond with beautiful light around it and took a little prayer walk around it, and snapped some pictures. Then I got back in the car and drove around the corner. There was a man in the middle of the road, and it started raining. He was on his hands and knees. He was alternately holding his hurt shoulder and shaking his fist at the sky. I pulled over and asked if he needed help. 

He said he had just caught his girlfriend cheating on him and wasn't sure if he wanted to live anymore. I said, "Get in and I'll take you wherever you need to go." He did, and was crying his eyes out in the back seat. I started talking to him, and by the time we reached his house twenty minutes later, he was laughing. Before he got out, he stopped and said, "I think you might have saved my life tonight." But I knew Who really saved his life, because I wouldn't have stopped if God hadn't tugged on my heart.

How does He want YOU to minister in His house today? (Or tonight?)

God, thanks for using us to help your children, ministering in Your house day and night.

Here's the song by Rich Mullins.

No comments: