Tuesday, November 17, 2020

when evil men die



Today in the One Year Bible, we are reminded what we should be like in Ezekiel 33:1-34:31. You see, it's clear that we are to try to be like God, right? He tells us to. "Be holy, for I am holy," for example. If God is perfect, we should strive to be more like Him, right? More loving, kind, patient, gentle, etc... the fruits of the Spirit. 

Well, on December 30, 2006, Saddam Hussein was hanged for crimes against humanity. The response to this news was mixed around the world. Here is (perhaps the only time I'll ever share an article from CNN) how people from children to adults responded to the news of his death. 

Among Christians, I did hear a few people cheer and celebrate his demise. But I was glad to hear that most Christians realized that we shouldn't celebrate when someone dies, no matter how bad they are. And in today's reading, we see that we are being more like God when we make this choice. In Ezekiel 33:11, we read, "As surely as I live, says the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people. I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so they can live. Turn! Turn from your wickedness, O people of Israel! Why should you die?"

And it's interesting that I just so happened to read something today about Saddam Hussein. I saw a tweet by Fr Tom Bombadil that said, "Whoa, just read that Saddam Hussein asked to watch The Passion of the Christ while he was under house arrest sometime before he was executed and he said it was the best movie he ever watched. I wonder if the Lord was able to save him in the end." I added Saddam to my list of people I pray for every day. I hope to see him in heaven one day. Wouldn't that be something?

God, thanks for teaching us not to rejoice when evil people die, but to pray for their salvation.

 


 

No comments: