Friday, July 6, 2018

what is little to God?


Today in the One Year Bible, we read about flipping a coin in Proverbs 18:16-18. It just says that a coin toss can settle a dispute, even between important people.

But that brings up a few things to consider. One is the wisdom I heard once that you should flip a coin when you're trying to decide something, not necessarily because you are going to let chance decide your fate, but because in that instant when the coin is in the air, you suddenly realize which side you want it to fall on - you realize what you really want.

It also brings up the idea of how much we want God involved in our lives. Some of us only pray when we have "big decisions". I put that phrase in quotation marks because nothing is big to God. They're big decisions to US. But to God, everything is easier than easy. He can do anything. So if everything is easy for Him, why do we only bring our "big decisions" to Him? Why not bring our smaller choices to Him?

It might seem silly, but I will sometimes pray about whether I should get the beef or the chicken for lunch. I'll pray about whether I should wear my red shirt or my blue one today. Not because I think He's going to get mad at me if I choose the "wrong one", but because it involves Him in my life in an intimate, personal way. "Pray without ceasing" is meant to be taken literally. That doesn't mean we should become scrupulous, and WORRY about every little decision. On the contrary, when you get used to involving Him in little choices throughout the day, it becomes more natural to involve Him in the "big decisions"... and it also becomes easier to trust Him for them.

It turns out I'm not the only one who practices this "silly" little habit of praying over tiny things. St Therese of Liseux, my fav saint (don't tell the other saints), also did this. She prayed for tiny little choices and tiny little joys throughout every day. It brings us closer to Him.

And who knows? It might just make us into saints one day.

God, thank You for caring about every sparrow that falls. Help us to involve You in our lives more intimately.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Every day every hour