Sunday, February 12, 2017

keep a tidy soul


Today in A Year with the Church Fathers, St Augustine tells us that we need to keep our soul neat and tidy so that God can indwell it.

I don't usually agree with Mark Twain (he's just a tad too cynical for me), but I can get aboard his quote for today. I tend to dress pretty carelessly, and I try to keep a tidy soul.

So how can we keep a "tidy soul"? The first and most effective answer is the one that you probably already know I'm going to say... ask for it. If we are serious about having a life that God can indwell, then the best thing we can do is ask Him to make it that way. First of all, you KNOW that He will answer that prayer with a yes. Second, He knows what needs to be done and how to go about doing it, while we don't even know for sure what needs to be done. He will bring the people into your life that need to be there. He will give you wisdom. He will help you break bad habits and form good ones.

In short, He will create a soul in which He can dwell. And then believe me... you will be glad He did. Once He's got it sorted out, you'll begin to see things in your life you didn't know were there. You will begin to "click on all cylinders". You'll start to get excited about the direction your life is going. Because He created you, and He knows what will thrill your heart.

God, please clean me up so You can live in my life to the fullest.