Thursday, November 10, 2016

there is no fear in love

Lewis tells us about fear and cowardice today in A Year with C.S. Lewis.

He says that fear itself does the enemy no good. Our enemy is interested in getting us to ACT on fear. To do things that we know are wrong because we are afraid. As long as we keep doing what God wants us to do, then fear doesn't do our enemy any good.

But fear is an awful place to live, isn't it? To be perfectly candid, I've been living with fear for the last year or so. My work has brought great stress and anxiety into my life. I'm usually afraid, on a daily basis, of what might go wrong at work. This is a far cry from the bliss that I enjoyed at my job in Dallas, where I would bore my friends with stories of how much I loved my job. Now, I struggle with fear and anxiety. Your prayers that I might let this fear go are appreciated.

But there is help. The Bible tells us 365 times "Do not be afraid." It also tells us "Be anxious for NOTHING, but in everything through prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus." And the Bible also tells us "There is no fear in love, for perfect love casts out fear."

And yet, those of you who are human know that this isn't always easy. I believe that God will take care of me. I CHOOSE to not be anxious. To give everything to Him and to rest in His promise that He will take care of me. I ask for His perfect love to come into my heart and drive out all of my fear.  But fear creeps. It waits until your exhausted at 3am and it jumps on you. It's a nasty little thing.

So let us pray for one another. Let's choose to trust God. Let's do the right thing, even when we're scared.

After all, that's what courage means.

God, thank You for being there for us, especially when we're scared.