Sunday, October 23, 2016

running out of time?

Lewis talks about running out of time for learning today in A Year with C.S. Lewis.

And he's right as far as this life goes. We do find ourselves eventually realizing that we won't have enough years in our lives to study everything. To some, that's a relief. Not everyone enjoys studying.

For other, like Lewis, it is frustrating. To want to learn another language, but realizing that you've gotten too old to have time to master it.

And Lewis might be right about eternity, too. He doesn't explicitly SAY that we won't learn things in Heaven. But it is implied in his frustration.

I do think we'll learn in heaven. I've created some of my ideas of what heaven will be like in my book The Tale of Amon. The characters in that book learn to play every instrument, and learn to paint like Picasso, and learn all of the languages. Because they're immortal, and they have time to practice everything. I kind of hope that's what heaven is like, because I find a human lifetime too short to learn everything I want to know.

God, thank You for giving us the love of learning.

1 comment:

Julie said...

So very true, I hope also