Tuesday, May 3, 2016

believe it to see it

Lewis talks about belief today in A Year with C.S. Lewis.

He tells us that we can benefit from something without understanding it. But that we have to believe in order to act, to receive that benefit.

I have a friend who suffers from bad health. I gave her some vitamin gummies, which I eat every morning and which help me keep from getting sick. I almost never catch the cold that's going around, because eating my vitamins every day helps protect me and keep me immune. But the gummies taste good. When my friend ate one, she refused to eat any more because she said they were "just sugar". And she went on getting sick.

That's sad, of course. But it also reminds me of what we all do with God's gifts. He gives us so many good things. And we have to believe Him, and trust Him, to accept that these good things are what we need. Instead we often fill our lives with empty lies and bad decisions, and then many of us wonder why we're unhappy.

Let's eat our gummies, even though we enjoy them, and trust that they're good for us after all.

Thanks, God, for the good things that make our lives better.

1 comment:

Julie said...

All good things for us don't have to taste bad....