Sunday, July 19, 2015

to save the world

today's readings: 1 Chron 28:1-29:30, Rom 5:6-21, Psalm 15:1-5, Prov 19:18-19

Paul says some amazing things today. He may come across as a jerk sometimes, but he knows his stuff. He shows us that Jesus is the second Adam. That Adam brought sin into the world, and brought death to EVERYONE. And then he shows us that Jesus did something even greater, bringing life to the world.

Does this mean everyone will be saved? That's a big question, and many of you reading this will say "no, it doesn't." There is a book that just came out recently by Rob Bell in which he says that "Love Wins", and everyone goes to heaven. Is that possible?

Well, let's look at what the Bible does say. Of course, I can't do an entire Bible study on the subject tonight, as I only have so much time (and you don't want to read all day). But the Bible says that Hell is a real place. Satan and his followers will go there to be punished. And "anyone not found written in the Lamb's book of Life" will also be thrown into that lake of fire.

Will everyone be found in the Lamb's book of Life? I hope so. There have been many saints in the church throughout history that have believed that universal salvation is within the realm of possibility. I sincerely HOPE that no one goes to Hell. The thought of being separated from God for ever... is too horrific for me to contemplate. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy... I wouldn't wish it on someone like Hitler, or Jeffrey Dahmer. No matter how horrible someone may be, no matter what they've done... being separated from all hope for all of time, it's just too horrible to imagine.

Will everyone be saved? That is a concept that isn't foreign to what Paul is saying in today's reading. Will it happen? We don't know. I hope so. I guess we'll see. In the meantime, let's work, and pray, to the end that everyone will have a chance to be saved from hell and spend eternity with God.

God, please save us. We need you.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Amen, nothing to add except praying for all sinners including me.