Tuesday, April 28, 2020

integrity


Today we read from Judges 8:18-9:21 in the One Year Bible. We read a good example of integrity in this selection. Gideon defeats the kings of the Midianites, and they ask Gideon to become their king in their place. But Gideon says, "God will be your ruler". He was offered power, and he gave it to God instead.

That reminds me of George Washington. I mean, he wasn't a perfect man. And the bit about not telling a lie and the cherry tree is most probably apocryphal. But he DID have the opportunity to make himself president for life, and he stepped down instead.

I read something when I was a teenager. It said, "Integrity is who you are when no one is looking." I took that to heart, and I've tried to live my life by it.

Who are you when no one is looking?

God, thanks for giving us a good example of integrity.