Thursday, November 8, 2018

sins we don't know about


Today in the One Year Bible, we read from Hebrews 9:1-10. Paul tells us that in the OT, the priest would offer sacrifices for the sins that he had committed, and for the people's sins, including those that they didn't realize they'd committed. The sins they committed in ignorance.

There are times when I feel prompted to go to confession, even when I don't know exactly what I've done wrong. When I go, I confess everything I know that I've done: been short tempered with a coworker, lack of charity while driving, etc. The church teaches that when I go to confession, and confess everything I know about, I'm also forgiven for anything I've forgotten to confess - or anything I didn't realize I'd done. ALL my sins are forgiven. And when I leave confession, I always feel much better - lighter, freer, clean.

Maybe you've got a confessional in your faith tradition. I encourage you to make use of it! You'll be glad you did.

If you don't, then confess your sins to Him, and ask Him to forgive those sins that you don't realize you've committed. We all have blind spots, and it's best to stay "fessed up" and free of the sins that so easily entangle us.

God, thank You for forgiving the sins we know we've committed - and those we commit in ignorance.