Tuesday, August 14, 2018

bring along a believing wife


Today in the One Year Bible, we read from 1 Corinthians 9:1-18. And in this passage, there is a verse I don't remember reading before.

It's odd, because I've read through the Bible multiple times, using the One Year Bible over the course of several decades. But every time I do, I find verses that I don't remember reading before. I think that sometimes when we read the Bible, we aren't ready for what it says yet, and our brains kind of read along until they find something that clicks. Today I clicked with the verse that said that Peter and the other apostles, even Jesus's relatives, took along "believing wives". In other words, they went on their mission trips and their wives went with them. Which makes Paul's admonition to be "like him" and refrain from marriage an interesting one.

But we see an answer to the question asked in my previous blog. Should we get married or should we remain single? Either way, God can use you. You might be called to get married and stay home and raise kids, like Louis and Zelie Martin, who raised several daughters who were nuns, including the amazing St. Therese of Liseux. Or you might be called to get married and then go do mission work. Or, perhaps God calls you to be single, and be salt and light in the workplace. Whatever He's calling you to do, seek His will and do it. That's where you'll find the deepest joy.

God, thank You for calling all of us. Help us to do Your will.