Wednesday, May 23, 2018

how to be a leader

It's a simple lesson we learn today from the One Year Bible, in John 13:1-30. Jesus washes the disciples' feet. Peter fights Him every step of the way, first insisting that He NOT wash Peter's feet at all, and then insisting that He wash all of Peter's body. Jesus is like, "Why can't you just do what I'm asking?" OK, He doesn't say those words, but that's the gist.

But then He teaches all of us what true leadership looks like. Servant leadership. Leading by serving. Jesus teaches us through example that the way we lead people is by serving them. If you want to be a great leader, learn to be a great servant.

I've found a practical way that this works. Any time I'm in a group, I find things that people are doing well and I compliment them on their work, and then I thank them for it. It's a form of service - being kind to them and lifting them up through your words. But I've found that doing so often puts me into a position of authority. When someone in the room has a question, they usually come to me as a leader, because I've established myself by serving.

Who can you serve today? How can God use your service to make you into a productive leader in His kingdom?

God, thank You for teaching us to lead by serving.

No comments: