Monday, April 23, 2018

always more to find

We read Luke 21:29-22:13 today in the One Year Bible. And there is a selection in this passage I have never noticed before. Even though I've read through the One Year Bible many times, somehow I missed this every time.

Jesus taught in the Temple during the day, and then went to the Mount of Olives every night to pray and sleep. And the people gathered in the Temple every morning to hear Him teach. Don't you wish you could be there? To get up in the morning and go to the Temple, eager to hear what amazing, difficult, scary, assuring, life-changing thing Jesus was going to say next? I know I do. I wish I could be there.

And in a way, we can be. It might be the morning for you. Some people wake up ready to face the day with exuberance and rested excitement, and those people can get their coffee and find a quiet spot and sit at the feet of Jesus. Listening, to see if He is going to remind them of someone who needs help, or if He's going to teach them how to be kind and patient, or if maybe He's just going to sit quietly with them and bask in their presence, as they bask in His.

For me, it's late at night that I do this. I COULD get up early, but I'd just grumble and growl my way through a heartless repetition of mindless prayers if I did that. I don't wake up until later in the day. And I'm not FULLY awake until late at night. That's when I sit at His feet and wait to see what He'll say.

God, thanks for letting us hang out with You and see what You have to say.