Monday, January 15, 2018

the sides of judgment


I'm in the middle of my cold, friends. My voice is pretty messed up. I'm sorry for the delay. CLICK HERE to listen to someone else do the reading for today.

But today is an interesting reading from the OT. Jacob confronts Laban. He had stolen away in the night, afraid of how Laban would react if he told him he was leaving. And he was right to be concerned - Laban would have attacked him if God had not warned Laban in a dream not to hurt Jacob.

It brings to mind the judgment that we will all face one day. When all of our actions, and others actions to us, will be laid bare. When we will see God's justice for wrongs done. There will be a great vindication of all those who suffered from people who treated them badly.

And we're tempted to think, "Good! Finally! The wrongs I've suffered will be brought to justice, and everyone will see what others did to wrong me." And that's true. But don't forget... there are times when we wrong others, too. And those wrongs will also be addressed.

That gives us motivation, doesn't it? I know that when I think of that great reckoning, it makes me want to be a better person. To treat others more kindly in the here and now, so that when the great judgment comes, there will be less that I'll be guilty of.

God, please help us to live our lives in such a way that we'll be glad to see Your justice done.

No comments: