Tuesday, April 4, 2017

what it's all about

Today we hear from St Augustine about the virtues in A Year with the Church Fathers. He tells us that it all boils down to love.

And he’s right! Not only do the four virtues boil down to love, but the fruits of the spirit are all related to love, as well. Kindness, peace, patience, gentleness, self-control… can’t you readily see how all of these become evident in our lives when we love someone?

It really does all come down to love. God IS love, after all. And when Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was, He said “Love God with all of your heart, mind, soul, and strength… and love your neighbor like you love yourself.”

I’d like to share a story of something that happened to me today. I was having a rough day… didn’t feel very good. So at work, I was praying while I was working… and at one point, I simply prayed, “God, I love you.” A minute or so later, a man I’ve never met before walked up to me (out of the blue) and said, “How are you doing today?” and I said, “OK, how are you?” and he replied, “I’m good. I just wanted you to know that God loves you.” And he walked away.

So basically, I told God that I loved Him, and He said, “I love you too.”

That blew my mind.

So love is what it’s all about.

Perhaps a good prayer each day might be “God, please help me love better.”


God, thank You for teaching us to love… please help us to love like You do.

No comments: