Wednesday, April 26, 2017

pliable steel


St John Cassian tells us today about the wisdom of a monk named Theodore in A Year with the Church Fathers.

Theodore shared a metaphor with St John Cassian about wax and steel. He said that the mind of a righteous man should be like steel, not like wax. He was thinking, of course, of men who can't hold to one position, but are constantly shifting with the thoughts and opinions of those with whom they come in contact. And so in that case, his wisdom is applicable.

However, I find myself on the other end of the spectrum. I have had to learn over the years to open my mind to the ideas of others. I have had to learn the wisdom of accepting the views of other people as being worthwhile. I have had to soften the steel of my hard headed viewpoints and realize that there is in fact something I can learn from other people.

So I think Theodore and I will have to meet in the middle. We can learn, perhaps, to be pliable steel. To be taken to the fiery love of our Savior on a regular basis, and heated to the point where our steel becomes malleable. And then set and reset with the truth, so that when our stamp finds itself on the minds of those in our lives, it leaves the mark of the savior.

God, thanks for making us pliable steel.

No comments: