Tuesday, November 1, 2016

genuine pleasures

Lewis talks about the genuine pleasure of a walk today in A Year with C.S. Lewis.

Lewis was very fond of walks. He took them regularly, and writes about them in his books. In Out of the Silent Planet, the main character is on a walking tour when the book opens.

As you might know, I am a great lover of walks myself. The Bible talks about walking with God, and I do that literally on a daily basis. I take what I call "prayer walks" each day. I find it much more effective to pray while I'm walking than while doing any other posture.

But there are purely physical reasons why walking is so pleasant, too. Walking releases endorphins, which are chemicals in your body that produce pleasure. A good, brisk walk makes you feel good. And it's good for your heart, of course, too.

In today's reading, the elder demon (how can he be elder? aren't all demons eternal?) is berating the younger one for allowing "his human" to enjoy the real pleasure of a walk. Because, in effect, that pleasure brings him closer to God.

As Lewis says, God whispers in our pleasures. And if we're quiet, and listen carefully, we can hear Him when we're walking.

God, thank You for simple pleasures, which even simple people like me can appreciate.