Sunday, October 2, 2016

when He teaches you... about you

Lewis tells us about how God teaches us about ourselves today in A Year with C.S. Lewis.

And that reflects a lesson that God taught ME today at church. Funny how He does that. But what happened was this: He taught me a particularly useful new habit to practice in order to grow in my maturity. And I liked it so much, and found it so helpful, that I asked Him, "Why didn't you teach me this before?"

And He gently replied, "You struggled with the last lesson... you weren't ready for this one until now."

And boy was He right. The lesson just before this one was one that it took me most of my adult life to learn. And now, finally, He has allowed me to move on to the next lesson.

Such a good example of how He knows us so much better than we know ourselves. We think we're ready for what's next... but usually we're trying to run ahead of Him. When we walk with Him without getting impatient, we see that His curriculum is always perfectly attuned to what we're able to handle.

Thank You, God, for being patient with your challenged student.

1 comment:

Julie said...

He's good at that.