Sunday, September 25, 2016

faith and works


Lewis tells us about faith and works today in A Year with C.S. Lewis.

He tells us, correctly, that they're like the two blades of a pair of scissors. And we see this in the words of Jesus, too. He tells us many stories where it sounds like it all depends on what we do. It sounds like works are what save us. But then He says "I am the resurrection and the life. He that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live."

He also says "Unless you give up everything and follow Me, you can't be My disciple." But then He turns around and says "My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

So the two blades of scissors work together beautifully. We have faith. We do what He calls us to. Those are the blades that make our lives work.

God, thank You for giving us both/and, not either/or.