Tuesday, January 12, 2016

like you're the only one in the world

We're spending the year with C.S Lewis, reading through a book called A Year with C.S. Lewis.  The book is available from bn.com for $2.99 as an e-book that you can read on your computer, phone, or tablet. Today we discuss the reading from January 12.

Lewis is telling us how much God loves us. And... it brings up a realization I had one time that might be useful to you. See... we all know that God loves us. We've been told that since we were children. But the thought often comes to mind "yeah, but God loves EVERYONE." Which, in our minds, diminishes the love. I know that if I were to tell everyone who has ever lived in the whole world that I loved them, while I might mean it, it certainly wouldn't mean much. I'm not capable of loving that many people with the all consuming, fiery, powerful love that God has for you.

But God is.

And so, to make it work in my brain, I had to realize something. It occurred to me during my prayer one day that God loves me as though I were the only person in the world. His relationship with me is of such a profound and intimate nature that in my relationship with Him, I am the only one. He is able, being God and outside of time and being all powerful and omniscient and everything... of being God to me alone, in my life.

And this is true in your life, too. He loves YOU alone, in your life. He isn't distracted by other people's prayer or demands or needs. He loves you, just like you're the only one on the pier in that pic above... just like you're the only person in existence. His love for you is exactly the same intensity, power, focus, and completeness as it would be if there were no other people.

So trust Him. You have His undivided attention. He wants to hear from you, every day. He greatly desires spending time with you. He loves you.

Thank You, God, for loving me as though I was the only one.

No comments: