Monday, November 23, 2015

not the usual

Today's readings: Ezekiel 45:13-46:24, 1 Peter 1:13-2:10, Psalm 119:33-48, Proverbs 28:11

There was a surprise in the movie referred to by the pic above. And there is a little surprise in Peter's admonishment in today's reading.

He tells us to put our old sinful ways behind us, since we're past that now. We've grown in our relationship with Christ, and we shouldn't behave like we don't know any better. And then he tells us a few examples of sins that we should leave behind.

They're not the sexual, stealing, lying, killing sins that you might expect. They're more subtle, and they strike close to home. Hypocrisy, jealousy, unkind speech... do these sound familiar?

I know I'm guilty of all of them. I'm especially guilty of saying unkind things about people. So today's readings remind me that Keyser Soze is not the only thing I should be afraid of... I should also be afraid of missing out on the things that He wants me to do in life because I'm too busy being selfish.

God, please help me to be holy, like You are holy, and to put my childish ways behind me.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Selfish is as selfish does, God please help me to be loving, satisfied and kind to others