Sunday, October 11, 2015

a couple days blogs

Sorry I'm behind. I HAVE been writing my blog every day. But I haven't had a reliable internet connection the last couple days, so I'm just now posting them.

Oct 9

Today's readings (and yesterday's) Jeremiah 10:1-14:10, Colossians 3:18-Thessalonians 2:8, Psalm 79:1-13, Prov 24:30-34

So I got behind a day by traveling internationally. So I caught us up today.

The verse that jumps out at me is from Colossians. Paul says, "Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart."

People really underestimate prayer. Some seem to think that prayer is just wringing our hands and hoping for the best. On the contrary, prayer is THE BEST THING you can do for someone. Yes, sometimes God calls us to do other things for them, too. If you pray for hungry people, God might call you to feed them. But praying for them is MUCH BETTER than feeding them.

When you pray for someone, you are involving God in their life. And there's nothing you can do for someone that is better than that. In today's verse, God is calling us to devote ourselves to talk to Him. And when we DO talk to Him, we should do so with an alert mind and a thankful heart. So put aside your distractions, think about all the amazing things He's doing in your life, and spend time in His presence.

There's nothing you can do that's more important than that.


Oct 10
Today’s readings: Jeremiah 14:11-16:15, 1 Thessalonians 2:9-3:13, Psalm 80:1-19, Proverbs 25:1-5
Today Paul talks about the gaps in our faith. He says that he hopes he can come back to Thessalonica so that he can help fill in the gaps in their faith.

Do you have gaps in your faith? I know I do. But I’m pretty sure I don’t know all of them. Who of us is perfectly self-aware? That’s one of those paradoxes… if you think you’re perfectly self-aware, that means you’re definitely NOT perfectly self-aware.

So what do we do? We’ve got these gaps in our faith, but we don’t even know all of them, let alone do we know how to fix them.

But God knows. He can let us know what they are, and He can fill them in. In fact, He can even fill them in without letting us know what they are. All we have to do is ask.


God, thank You for filling in our gaps. 

1 comment:

Julie said...

God is amazing with filling in the gaps but in so doing sometimes He allows us to break down completely so as we realize what is missing in our lives, God. God help to....not fall into the gap. Typed it and then the song jumped into my mind.