Tuesday, August 11, 2015

so simple - so profound

Today's readings: Nehemiah 1:1-3:14, 1 Cor 7:1-24, Psalm 31:19-24, Prov 21:4

Several things happened in today's reading, but one jumped out at me.

Nehemiah served the king. And apparently he was a good king, at least toward his cupbearer. Because when he saw that Nehemiah looked sad, he asked a very important question. "How can I help you?"

The lesson is very simple, and very profound. When our friends or family are sad, or discouraged or down or depressed or frustrated... it's easy to come to our own conclusions and try to make them better using what works for us.

But what cheers me up isn't necessarily what's going to help them. Instead, the best thing I can do is ask... "How can I help you?" Listen to them. And maybe do something that they say, and maybe help them that way.

But let me tell you... just being there, caring that they're down, and asking "How can I help you?" helps them. Just that alone.

Thank You, God, for allowing us the privilege of helping one another.