Wednesday, July 29, 2015

unwashed masses

Today's readings: 2 Chron 24:1-25:28, Rom 12:1-21, Psalm 22:19-31, Prov 20:8-10

There is alot in today's reading for us to enjoy. So much richness in Paul's letter to the Romans today. And my favorite part was when he tells us to spend time with "common people" and not to think of ourselves too highly.

This is a picture of love in action. It's never pleasant to spend time with someone who smells bad, says stupid things, and invades your personal space. I work in a bookstore, so these people approach me daily. (If that sounds odd, just Google "homeless Barnes & Noble".) The temptation to think of myself as better than them is strong, about as strong as the smell that I have to pretend not to notice.

And the temptation to talk about them when they leave is also strong. But love tells me to treat them with dignity. To listen to their concerns and help them. To act like they're as good as I am - because, in fact they are. And the fact that they treat me with dignity when I am tempted to treat them shabbily might mean they're not just AS GOOD as I am... maybe I could learn something from them.

God, thank You for the unwashed masses, who teach me what love really looks like.

1 comment:

Julie said...

It reminds me of the first time I went to feed the homeless. I went there to help them and I was the one who came away with the blessing. They had full bellies and I came away with a very full heart for humanity. They gave me so much more than I was able to give them.