Saturday, July 25, 2015

reality waves

Today's readings: 2 Chron 14:1-16:14, Rom 9:1-24, Psalm 19:1-14, Prov 20:1

So a pretty cool thing happened with today's reading.

See, there are times in our lives when the Bible answers our questions. Some would say it answers all of our questions, but some would say there are questions it doesn't address. But I CAN tell you that in my life, there have been times that it has answered the EXACT question I'm asking.

Here is an example from a few years ago when I was in college. I was feeling this ... distance, between me and Jesus. Like I felt close to God the Father, and I felt the Holy Spirit moving in my life. But I felt this ... estrangement... between me and Jesus. So I asked, out loud, why do I feel estranged from Jesus? And I opened my Bible and the very first verse I looked at said "You feel estranged from Christ because you are trying to succeed according to the flesh and not according to the Spirit." Blew my mind, obviously.

So something similar happened with today's reading. I was just asking myself, "Would I give up MY salvation if I thought it would save the rest of the world?" And I open today's reading, and Paul says the exact same thing. He would cut himself off from Christ if it would lead the Jewish people to be saved.

But this raises a good question. Would YOU give up your salvation if it meant that everyone else in the world would be saved?

Thank You, God, for answering our questions before we even ask them.

1 comment:

Julie said...

In my professional opinion, that was the true meaning behind the movie, "what dreams may come!" (1998 starring Robin Williams) haven't seen it check it out and in my case a box of Kleenex. Would you do it? We all must ask ourselves this.