Tuesday, June 30, 2015

a prayer He will answer "yes" to

today's readings: 2 Kings 17:1-18:12, Acts 20:1-38, Psalm 148:1-14, Proverbs 18:6-7

so today we read about Eutychus, who puts the "falls" into "falls asleep". he falls out of a window to his death! after falling asleep during a boring sermon.

this emphasizes to me the humanness of the people in the Bible. the writers never shirk from portraying people with all their faults and blemishes... and falling asleep during a sermon is very human!

it's very cool that the Bible does this, because it helps us realize that the Bible is not about super people, far removed from our own experience. it's about humans like us, who were touched by God in profound ways.

He is waiting to touch every single one of us in a profound way. He wants to touch YOUR life profoundly. will you let Him? all you have to do... literally... is ask.

God, please touch my life in a profound way today.

1 comment:

Julie said...

We all have struggled at times to stay awake during Mass, my favorite story of this is when Brian and I went to England many years ago. We flew all night and arrived in London in time for us to attend Mass at St. Paul's which was on Brian's itinerary for us to do. This was before we checked in to our hotel. Now let me explain, I don't sleep on airplanes, Brian sleeps anywhere. With luggage in hand we enter St. Paul's (it was really cold out too) and we sit down for Mass. I am not Catholic at this point. It's warm inside.......I am leaning on my luggage.....head drop head drop.....Brian keeps looking at me like "what is wrong with you?" Now here today is St. Paul talking until Eutychus falls out the window to his death.....who goes out to bring him back to life Paul. I can relate. The End.