Friday, May 1, 2015

a whole other level

today's reading: Judges 11:1-12:15, John 1:1-28, Psalm 10:1-8, Proverbs 14:13-14

John is by far my favorite. he's a poet, and he writes about love more than anything. i love the way the gospel of John starts off... in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

not only is it beautiful and simple, very zen in its feel and profundity, but it is very deep and philosophical as well. John is here tapping into the idea of logos, which was a concept that Plato and his teacher Socrates used to point to a creator.

just reading these words makes me want to be a better person. just meditating on John's gospel (and his epistles, btw) make me leave my sin and my selfishness behind... not dropping them around me to so easily entangle my feet again (as they do so often) but rising above them... living on a different plane, where it's not about me getting my way versus other people getting theirs... but it's about my deciding to serve and help others, so no one is taking advantage of anyone else. 

God, thank you for the inspiring words of your servant John, who helps me live on another level... closer to Yours.