Tuesday, March 24, 2015

love your enemies! (really?)

today's readings: Deut 2:1-3:29, Luke 6:12-38, Psalm 67:1-7, Prov 11:27

Jesus said one of the most profound things He ever said in today's reading. we often quote Him as saying the golden rule: do to other people what you want them to do to you. we sometimes forget that He said something that you don't really find in other religious writings: love your enemies.

loving your enemy is profound. it is world-changing. and, as you probably imagine (and know from experience), it's not easy.

i've found in my life that the only way i'm able to love my enemy is if i'm sticking close to God. when God forgives me and loves me even when i do really stupid things... it gives me the courage and humility and will-power to love my enemies.

and after i've practiced that love for a while, do you know what i sometimes realize? i sometimes (not always) realize that i'm a jerk. i was the "bad guy" in the situation, not them. that's not a fun thing to admit, even to yourself. but it's true (sometimes)

God, please help me to love my enemies... especially when that enemy is myself.

2 comments:

Marion (Mael Mhuire) said...

What a beautiful reflection! And I love the picture of the demonstrator embracing the police officer. As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks very much for this.

Julie said...

Very profound my son. Once we step away from a situation and reflect on WWJD, many times we find we were the aggressor or the one at fault by our judgemental opinions without the facts. Love your enemy, I will try my best with Gods love and mercy.