Friday, March 27, 2015

and they are many

today's readings: Deut 7:1-8:20, Luke 7:36-8:3, Psalm 69:1-18, Proverbs 12:1

the Gospel today moved me. Jesus is in the home of a Pharisee. a woman comes in and begins washing Jesus's feet with her hair. the Pharisees are offended that Jesus, who is supposed to be a prophet, apparently doesn't know that this is a sinful woman, or obviously He wouldn't be letting her touch Him.

what the Pharisee doesn't know is that Jesus does know about the woman, and forgives her sins. what the Pharisee also doesn't know is that he is sinning far greater than the woman by looking down on her and harboring evil and unforgiving thoughts.

but the part that moves me is what Jesus says about the woman. He says that her sins are forgiven. and He says that they are many. that broke my heart. because I know people like that. because I am people like that. our sins are many, me and my friends. we need His forgiveness, maybe more than most.

but Jesus's parable makes me that much happier... because He says that whoever is forgiven much (like I am) is very grateful.

God, please help me to remember how much You've forgiven me, so I can remember to be that grateful.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Like minds I guess, this was going to be my point but probably better stated. Lord give me a gratefulness equal to your forgiveness.