Tuesday, January 20, 2015

wheat and tares and cows... oh my

today's readings were Genesis 41:17 - 42:17, Matthew 13:24-46, Psalm 18:1-15, and Proverbs 4:1-6

the picture is Jesus in a boat teaching the people crowded all around Him. I thought it looked cool, and it paints a picture in our minds of what it was like being crowded around Him listening to His teachings... like in the Gospel reading today.

the OT reading is one we're all probably familiar with... the prophetic dream given to pharaoh, and Joseph's interpretation which gets him promoted to "second only to pharaoh" status. one thing I thought was funny was that when Joseph gets done telling him what the dream means, he doesn't say "so this is what you should do..." he says "so you should appoint someone really smart to do this for you... say, a young Hebrew who was recently in prison, perhaps?"

the NT reading has Jesus talking about the wheat growing alongside the tares... and I'm glad He lets them grow together, because I honestly feel like I'm the tares sometimes... or that I have wheat and tares both growing in me at the same time.

thankful today for His mercy that allows my wheat to grow while I'm still learning to pull my weeds.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Joseph is such a wonderful positive character of the OT, he remains true to God no matter his situation. We can learn a lot from him about being content in whatever situation we find ourselves. Maybe the fore runner to another Joseph.
Wheat and Tares, if there wasn't any Tares there would be choices. We would be robots, all alike. Nothing to strive towards and look forward to heaven.

jefe said...

true