Wednesday, August 24, 2011

so obvious

something so obvious, and yet... it needs to be said for some reason. that reminds me...

why is it so hard for me to do the things that i know are good for me?

i love the feeling, after working out, of that soreness but stronger, healthier, more energetic vibrant self that lasts for a couple days. working out even makes me want to work out more. i look better, feel better, and have a better attitude about life in general, about work, about my relationships... so why is it so easy to make excuses not to work out, and why is it so hard to get myself back on the machine?

same thing with food! i feel better, lose some of my gut, have more energy, and am not as sluggish when i eat right. more fruits and vegetables, more grains, more green tea and cranberry juice and water... less red meat, NO SODA... and yet... and yet.

and then there's mental activity. surfing the internet: not too bad. watching mind numbing tv - terrible. reading books - much better. but it's a daily struggle to turn the tv off, surf some interesting sites, or, better, read a good book.

and finally - the spiritual life. whatever you do to experience your spiritual life - for me, it's prayer, going to mass, taking long walks (during which i usually pray), and eucharistic adoration. i also get alot out of meditation (whether it's scriptural or just sitting "in the moment" and emptying my mind of stress and distractions). but how often do i do this? not enough...

why is it so hard to do the things that are good for me?

No comments: